Finding gold relics and gold jewelry can be a complicated process if you do not have the right metal detector. Gold is often found in different ground conditions that make it impossible to use most machines.
Luckily, there are suitable detectors for both the beginners and experienced gold hunters. These products vary in price, quality, and features – making it hard to choose the best metal detector for gold.
So, if you would like to hunt this precious metal, kindly join us as we review the top nine metal detectors for gold. They are similar in many ways but also unique in several ways.
The Best Metal Detectors For Gold
The products below can ensure that you hunt for gold successfully and even find other precious metals. We have classified them into three categories: Entry Level, Intermediate Level, and Expert level
Entry Level or Beginner Gold Detectors
Different people have different meanings of entry-level metal detectors, and that can make it hard to pick the best. Some people look at the price when choosing the beginner gold detectors, buying the most affordable ones.
Others look at hobbyist products since they are not meant for professional use and think they are the perfect ones for starters. But how should an entry-level metal detector for gold look like?
As a beginner, you should look for a metal detector that is designed to detect gold. Such a product can cost as little as $700 and offer simple operation to ensure that you learn while on the hunt.
An entry-level model should also be lightweight enough to allow you to carry it with ease. The package should also include a user-manual to guide you during the first few uses.
Here are four metal detectors that we can recommend for beginners who wish to hunt for gold.
1. Fisher Gold Bug Pro
The Fisher Gold Bug Pro was developed in 2010 and is the best metal detector for finding gold in the market today. It is the last version of the Gold Bug series and offers digital technology, which was absent in the previous models.
One superb feature of this metal detector is the prominent digital readout that can help you to see if you have found gold or another metal. The target ID can come in handy to ensure that you only dig when you find gold.
Another notable feature is the odometer style scale that makes it possible to classify different types of metals you find on the ground. Gold is often highlighted in the middle of the range, while iron appears toward the left side of the readout.
The metal detector also has an all-metal mode that can help you to search for all kinds of metals without discriminating anything. It is an excellent feature that can help gold and relic hunters.
The machine provides two forms of ground balance: ground phase and ground balancing. You can easily calibrate your system to suit the soil and the mineral present in that area.
Besides, it provides an automatic ground grab that allows the metal detector to adjust without needing your input. Ground phase helps you to measure the surface you intend to hunt for gold.
The machine requires a 9v battery that can provide power for up to 15 hours. That is enough for a beginner who is still learning the art of metal detecting.
- Product measurements: 10.25 x 6.25 x 28.5 inches
- Product weight: 2.5 pounds
- Transmit frequency: 19 kHz
- Battery: one 9v
- Operating hours: 15 hours
- Easy to use
- Made of quality materials
- Offers ground balance
- Provides effective digital readout
- Discrimination is not effective
- Short operation duration of 15 hours
2. Garrett AT Gold Metal Detector
You cannot go wrong with the Garrett AT Gold is you are looking for the best gold detector on the market. It was developed to find small gold nuggets in shallow water and other challenging places.
The machine operates at a high frequency that allows you to optimize the possibility of detecting gold. One great feature is the all-metal mode that is suited for gold as it offers better sensitivity and depth.
Another notable feature is the continuous audio response that makes it possible to hear even faint signals. The product includes automatic and manual ground balance that provides the best ground balance window feature.
That means you can detect for gold in mineralized terrains with ease and have a chance of getting that precious metal. You can dip the metal detector up to 10-foot while working in freshwater streams and lakes.
Note that the system is waterproof, meaning you can submerge it in water. And it can find jewelry, artifacts, treasures, coins, and relics buried in the ground.
It also features two discrimination modes that add to its True All-metal setting. You have a versatile relic and coin hunting machine that also gets rid of the trash.
The machine comes with a two-year warranty that covers parts and can give you the confidence you have a great gold detector. You can also depend on the target digital ID that provides a 0-99 scale.
The system is easy to operate and maintain and is one of the best entry-level metal detectors.
- Product measurements: 21.3 x 14.4 x 5.7 inches
- Product weight: 6.69 pounds
- Transmit frequency: 18 kHz
- Battery: four AA batteries
- Operating hours: 20-25 hours
- The warranty covers parts and labor
- Batteries last for about 25 hours
- Able to discriminate iron
- A lightweight product
- Batteries can be expensive
- Not quite durable
3. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack
Minelab X-Terra 705 has been in the market for a while and is one of the best metal detectors for gold. It provides lots of features that make it a bargain when you consider it is an affordable entry-level metal detector.
The system is lightweight enough to allow you to use for hours without feeling fatigued or uncomfortable. One feature to note is this unit can run at three separate frequencies to ensure that you do metal hunting with your friends.
Unlike most models out there, this system comes with multiple coils to allow you to choose the perfect one for every frequency. These coils work smoothly with the low, mid, and high-frequency settings.
It also comes with the brand’s True Digital VFLEX tech that enables you to change the frequency with ease. The other superb feature is the manual ground balance that helps you to adjust the range from 1-90.
You also get automatic tracking and beach settings to ensure that you do not get confused when working with the system as a beginner. The machine also boasts a real automatic ground balance that comes in handy to remove false ground noises.
It is highly effective in detecting even small gold due to the balance feature and the SignalEffective noise cancel. The other notable feature is the two pinpoint modes, which are sizing and auto.
Sizing mode plays a significant role in providing you with helpful information on object characteristics like size and shape.
- Product measurements: 23.25 x 11.5 x 3.25 inches
- Product weight: 4.75 pounds
- Transmit frequency: 3 kHz, 7.5 kHz, and 18.75 kHz.
- Battery: four AA batteries
- Operating hours: 20-25 hours
- You can easily vary the frequency
- Lightweight design
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Last for years
- Lots of features for a beginner’s metal detector
- Slightly expensive
4. White’s Electronics Goldmaster GMT
The White’s GMT has been in the market for a while and is one of the best metal detectors you can use to look for gold. It has been a best-seller for years as people continue to demand it for its superb features.
The machine quickly detects mall gold and can provide excellent depth to reach the most significant pieces deeply rooted in the ground. You can count on ease of use because it comes with minimal features, making it the best gold detector for beginners.
One unique feature is the ability of the metal detector to operate at 48kHz frequency, which makes it extremely sensitive to gold nuggets. You can find the tiniest of gold pieces when you work this frequency with a search coil of 6”x9”.
The product features both the automatic and manual ground balance modes that allow you to find this treasure in mineralized areas. There is also an iron analyzer that can come in handy to ensure that you ignore false alerts.
The iron analyzer also functions with the “follow the paystreak” feature to ensure that you know the magnetic minerals better. Its digital display is quite simple, making it perfect for beginners who can get confused by lots of features.
The metal detector also provides you settings for audio threshold, S.A.T speed, gain, and ground balance mode. One great thing is the eight AA batteries can provide power for about 40 hours.
- Product measurements: 44 x 9.5 x 12 inches
- Product weight: 4.3 pounds
- Transmit frequency: 48 kHz.
- Battery: eight AA batteries
- Operating hours: 40 hours
- Long-lasting batteries
- Can spot small nuggets of gold
- Easy to use
- Proven to be effective
- Expensive to buy up to eight batteries
- Limited features
Intermediates Level Gold Detectors
Hunting with an entry-level metal detector for gold might get tiring when you begin to become an expert. Such a product might be prone to false signals, which lead to bogus digs.
Hence, you should consider getting an intermediate metal detector to avoid getting frustrated. These products are more advanced compared to beginners’ gold detectors and are more affordable compared to professional ones.
They can ensure you avoid the false signal and yet get minimal features that can be easy to operate as you continue to learn. We have reviewed two leading gold detectors that can provide the best service for intermediate users.
5. Fisher Gold Bug-2
The Fisher Gold Bug-2 is perhaps the best metal detector for gold nuggets due to its high frequency. It is a lightweight, easy to use, and sensitive metal detector that is recommended for semi-professional users.
The product operates at a high frequency of 71.01kHz to guarantee the better detection of tiny pieces of gold. Another great thing is the disc mode that helps to eliminate iron signals to ensure that you only dig when there is a real treasure.
Another notable feature is the simple 3-position mineralization feature that enables you to adjust the system. You can choose either low, normal, or difficult mineralized soil conditions.
Its list of controls includes a battery/sensitivity test control, dual adjustable ground controls, and volume/on/off control. That means you have a more advanced metal detector that is still easy to operate.
You need a 9v battery to power this metal detector for gold, and that can provide you energy for about 15 hours. The detect comes with a 10 inches elliptical coil that ensures you discover even the most buried laying gold.
Note that the package also comes with 14 inches and 6.5 inches coils that you can use for detecting in multiple conditions. Another great thing is the lightweight nature of the metal detector, as it allows you to find gold for hours.
It is also easy to operate as you can decide to mount it around your chest or hips. There is also a dual-knob control that comes in handy when adjusting coarse and providing excellent detection.
- Product measurements: 21.5 x 13.1 x 5.8 inches
- Product weight: 2.9 pounds
- Transmit frequency: 71.01 kHz.
- Battery: two 9v batteries
- Operating hours: 15 hours
- Can detect small gold nuggets
- Variable mounting positions
- Uses a high frequency
- One of the most affordable detectors
- Batteries drain fast
- Not quite advanced for an intermediate detector
6. Garrett ATX Metal Detector
It is one of the leading pulse induction metal detectors you can find on the market today. The system comes with all the features that you would expect to find in an intermediate machine with the pulse induction technology.
Its pulse induction allows you to use 18-19kHz frequency with up to 730 pulses per second. That ensures you enjoy better depth detection and effective response to ground mineralization.
You can rest assured that it is the perfect product for detecting gold and quickly get rid of iron signals. It lets you pick up signals of the smallest gold nuggets in the ground.
What is even exciting is the push-button that ensures you scan the area automatically. That gives you quiet operation since you do not need to take a break and adjust the frequency range.
Another feature is the ground balance, which is not shared with most pulse induction metal detectors. That feature gives you more convenience compared to using other gold detectors in its class.
It can also handle multiple terrains and is recommended for hunting in saltwater places. The system also comes with a unique feature that allows you to find metals resting deeper in the ground.
You can use it to detect coins at around 18-inch and other can-sized targets at 24-inch deep. The machine is submersible in water up to 10 feet since its control box is waterproof – just like the search coils.
The metals detector also comes with a telescopic shaft that helps to conceal the coil cables. Read more information about Garrett ATX Metal detector.
- Product measurements: 23.2 x 17.4 x 5.9 inches
- Product weight: 14.6 pounds
- Transmit frequency: 18-19kHz.
- Battery: 8 AA batteries
- Operating hours: 25 hours
- Offers ground balance feature
- Can find multiple metals
- Waterproof design
- Can last for years
- An expensive model
- Slightly heavy to use
Expert Level Gold Detector
You should always consider your experience when picking a metal detector for detecting gold and other metals. That means starting from the entry-level, moving up to the intermediate level, and then the expert level.
It might be the best time to find an expert level gold detector if you feel you are a professional in this field. Such a product might be more expensive compared to other models we have reviewed above.
With that said, you should expect an expert level gold detector to do the job better than other metal detectors. It might also come with additional features that make it worth the high price.
Here are three expert-level gold detectors that you should consider buying.
7. Minelab GPZ 7000 Gold Nugget
Minelab GPZ is one of the best metal detectors for gold that comes with the patented ZVT technology. The technology lets you find gold 40% deeper compared to using other metal detectors.
Another notable feature is the super-d coil technology that gives this metal detector high sensitivity. You can easily find the gold that other people miss using different types of metal detectors, as little as sub-gram particles.
The other notable feature is the ground balance that ensures you scan in mineralized fields where gold is often located. You do not need to adjust anything because the machine adjusts to suit the ground.
It was also designed to provide quiet operation and allow you to look for gold in crowded areas smoothly. That is possible due to the 256 noise cancel channels that ensure it picks less noise from the environment.
Although it is an advanced model, you can easily use this metal detector as it comes with a simple menu system. The system contains a map and detects map sections with easy to access settings.
You can use that menu to get started when looking for gold for the first time. The metal detector also allows you to detect without using headphones thanks to the 12 wireless module that lets you use the in-built speaker.
Note that you also get headphones, or you can buy your preferred ones. It also comes with a GPS, and the coil is waterproof – you can submerge it to about 3 feet.
- Product measurements: 33 x 15 x 7 inches
- Product weight: 4.19 pounds
- Transmit frequency: ZVT technology
- Battery: 7.5 v Rechargeable battery
- Operating hours: 10 hours
- Offers advanced features
- Provides deeper coverage
- Simple menu system
- Noise cancelation feature
- It takes time to understand how to use it
- Battery drains fast
8. Minelab GPX 5000 Metal Detector
You cannot go wrong with the Minelab GPX 5000 if you are looking for the best gold metal detector. It features the brand’s patented technologies such as smart electronic timing alignment (SETA), dual voltage technology (DVT), and multi-period fast (sensing) (MPF).
The machine can find more gold than most metal detectors, which can go as low as sub-gram nuggets. It boasts eight timings that make it more sensitive than most products on the shelves today.
When you choose this product, it is like you have eight detectors in one thanks to the eight timing, which include fine gold, salt/gold, and coin/relics. The exquisite gold setting allows you to detect gold rooted deep in the surface.
Another notable feature is the enhanced electronics that add to the sensitivity of the metal detectors and allows for sufficient ground balance. You can also switch among multiple search modes as the product comes with six preset modes.
They include the pinpoint, hi-trash, patch, hi mineral, deep, and general search. You can also modify the detector to meet your specific needs.
Another great feature is the increased receiver (RX) gain that ensures you enjoy precise sensitivity control to get optimum performance. Like other gold metal detectors in this review, this machine also comes with an automatic ground balance that suits all grounds.
You can also maximize the target signal to suit your hearing ability, and they include audio type, response, threshold, volume limit, target volume, stabilizer, and signal peak. The other notable feature is the iron elimination feature that minimizes trash detection.
- Product measurements: 34 x 12 x 6 inches
- Product weight: 16.2 pounds
- Transmit frequency: MPF technology
- Battery: lion battery
- Operating hours: 12 hours
- Able to respond to your motion
- Comes with a backlight
- The package comes with two coils
- Allow multiple languages
- A heavy machine
- Quite expensive
9. Minelab SDC 2300 Special Bundle
It is a compact, high-performance metal detector that uses the pulse induction technology to detect metals. You can use it to find the gold of about sub-gram nugget and is ideal for use underwater and dry land.
The product meets the military standards and is made of quality material. One thing you should note is you can easily maneuver this metal detector while looking for treasure in multiple places.
That is possible because of its lightweight nature that also ensures you hunt for hours without getting tired. It makes use of the MPF technology that is present in GPX detectors.
That technology allows you to switch between the receiver (RX) and Transmit (TX) without a hassle. You can bet on reduced residual transmit the signal to enable sharp detection of small gold.
Another superb feature is the immunity you enjoy when hunting in high mineral places. You get less false signals and only dig when you are sure you can find gold.
The product can easily fit in carry-on bags thanks to the ability to fold into small sizes. Another notable feature is the waterproof capability that allows you to submerge it in water up to 10 feet deep.
It also comes with rugged construction that guarantees you of a durable metal detector that you can use for years. And you do not need to assemble anything when you want to use it.
It is the right gold detector for hunting in remote areas.
- Product measurements: 24.3 x 12.3 x 9 inches
- Product weight: 13.77 pounds
- Transmit frequency: MPF technology
- Battery: lion battery
- Operating hours: 12 hours
- Compact design
- Offers great features
- Detect small gold nuggets
- Very efficient
- Can be hard to operate
- An expensive model
Buying Guide of Best Metal Detector for Gold
Although the metal detectors for gold we have reviewed above are of high-quality, they cannot serve every individual purpose. Here is a simple guide that can help you when picking your perfect gold detector.
1. Choose a Metal Detector with Discrimination
Most high-end metal detector for finding gold features a discriminator or a microprocessor-controlled analyzer. It is a feature that compares signals from various metals to identify the treasure you have found.
For instance, the signal sent by gold is different from that of aluminum. You can set the discriminator to ignore the junks’ signals, such as steel and aluminum, and focus on finding the real target.
2. Consider the Search Depth
The search depth is a measure of how deep your metal detector can detect small nuggets of gold. You can find a machine that covers a deeper ground and a wide area, making it more challenging to get the exert location of the treasure.
A metal detector that can cover a smaller area can make it easier to zoom in and find where the gold is resting.
3. Look at Ground Balancing
The feature gives you the ability to eliminate interference that is present in most junk targets, such as iron. A useful ground balance feature focuses on finding treasures that are unnatural, such as metals.
You can find metal detectors for gold with up to three kinds of ground balance, which are manual, preset, and auto. Some models combine the auto and manual.
4. Consider Target Identification
The best metal detectors for gold offers target identification that helps to analyze the distortions to determine the metal you have found. They often come with a scale that can range from 0-99, with each number representing a specific metal.
5. What About Operating Frequency?
A gold metal detector with a multi-frequency feature can allow you to discriminate against the targets you find on the ground. You can set the frequency to ensure that the machine only detects the gold and no other metals.
The feature might not help you if you intend to find gold on the beach.
6. Other Special Features
Other unique features that you can look for when choosing your metal detector include:
- Volume knob: It can allow you to increase or decrease the volume to meet your needs.
- Headphones: They help to block external noises when finding gold. You only hear the metal detector’s beep.
- Sensitivity Knobs: The knobs can ensure that you filter out iron and other junks to focus on finding gold.
- LCD Screen: It can help you to collect data when hunting for treasures.
- Custom Notching: It is like discrimination and can let you filter out junks’ results.
- Weight: You should consider getting a lightweight metal detector that you can use for hours without straining yourself.
- Waterproof Design: Such a metal detector can allow you to look for treasures underwater, and it will not get damaged or rust.
- Coil Size: You should also consider the type of coil and the size when buying your metal detector for gold.
Types of Gold Metal Detectors
You can find two types of metal detectors for detecting gold: Very Low Frequency and Pulse Induction models.
Very Low Frequency (VLF)
The VLF detectors are mainly made to detect small shallow gold nuggets. They need a small coil to ensure that you identify the little lumps and hear the signal.
VLF models are not the best for hunting in highly mineralized ground or hot rocks. You need to move slowly if you wish to hear the signal of the small nuggets if you choose the VLF model.
They can also detect medium and large gold nuggets from time to time among the many stuff. Another notable thing is these kinds of metal detectors work effectively when scanning bedrock, where the gold rests a few inches deep.
These types of metal detectors can easily miss the deeply buried, substantial gold nuggets. Another thing to remember is VLF detectors for gold come with a higher frequency than the one meant to find coins.
That means you should get a product with a high frequency of 15-75kHZ. Such a high frequency is ideal for detecting small pieces of gold.
The high frequency is, however, limited when it comes to the depth as it cannot detect the deeply laying gold. You should also consider a VLF metal detector with electronic discrimination that can get rid of junk items like iron and steel.
Pulse Induction (PI)
The PI metal detectors can easily find the large gold resting in the deep ground, but they cannot detect small size ones. They are the best products for hunting in highly mineralized areas.
Another notable thing is the PI machines can scan such an area to ensure that you finish your task faster. The main shortcoming of these products is they cannot discriminate junk materials.
- If you intend to search gold in areas with low mineralization, consider a VLF model that can find the small nuggets with ease.
- A VLF model is also perfect for finding large gold that is buried deep in the ground.
- A PI machine is perfect for people who hunt in locations with high minerals.
- If the area has lots of trash, consider using the VLF metal detector as it can easily discriminate the signals.
- Choose the VLF model if you have a limited budget, or you are a first time user.
- One final thing to remember is 95% of gold comes in small nuggets, and that is why most people prefer the VLF model.
How We Picked Metal Detector for Gold
We followed a few criteria when choosing the top metal detectors for golds to review. Some of these things included:
- Type of metal detectors: We have reviewed both the VLF and PI metal detectors for gold to ensure that you get a product that can meet your needs.
- User Skill Level: We have also reviewed three classes of metal detectors, which are entry-level, mid-level, and high-end products. You can get a detector that meets your budget, skill, and needs.
- Durability: All the metal detectors in our review are exceptionally durable to ensure that you enjoy their service for years.
- Long term warranty: Another thing we considered when picking the nine products is the warranty. You can have confidence that you are covered when you choose any of the metal detectors for gold in our review.
- Efficient: We have also ensured that all the nine products are highly useful to guarantee you of a successful gold hunt.
- Budget-friendly: That means there is a product for all metal detectorists, whether it is an affordable model or a high-end one.
- Lightweight design: The products in our review offer a lightweight design that allows the users to find metal for hours without getting tired.
- Waterproof coils: We have also ensured that every detector comes with a waterproof coil to allow you to find gold in shallow water. There are also products that you can submerge in the water to hunt underwater.
- Easy to use: Although some of the detectors come with advanced features, we have ensured that they give you an easy time when detecting gold in various places.
Gold Metal Detector Budget and Price
There is no one fixed price for the best gold metal detector, as there are hundreds of detectors that you can choose. You can find high-end and budget models that vary when it comes to features and effectiveness.
With that said, the most popular brands offer entry-level detectors for gold at about $700 and the advanced ones at $4,000. However, it does not mean that the most expensive metal detector will do the best job or be right for you.
You should know the following:
- Ground conditions and hunting sites: There are metal detectors for various places and circumstances, and they come at varying prices.
- Average gold size: One metal detector might do a great job detecting huge gold nuggets while another one might fail.
- You should also find out if you intend to use your gold metal detector to find other treasures.
If you figure out these things, you can know the perfect metal detector for your need and set the ideal budget. The price is also determined by the technology used to make the metal detector for gold.
Here you can choose between:
- VLF models: They are more affordable, and all-metal detectorists wishing to look for gold can afford them.
- PI models: These are more expensive. They are mainly recommended for professional gold hunters.
Important Tip: You should only buy the metal detector you can afford and the one that can meet your ground hunting conditions.
Metal Detector Search Coil Guide
You should consider the type of search coil and the size when buying a metal detector for gold.
Type of Search Coil
Two main types of search coils come with metal detectors for gold: Concentric or DD coils.
Concentric Search Coils
Most metal detector brands provide gold detectors with the concentric search coils. They are ring resting inside each other and form a circle, although you can find oval ones.
These coils provide a cone-like search area that is as wide and deep as the coil. That means you can search an area and depth of 8-inch if you get a search coil with an 8-inch diameter.
You might notice that the search area is narrower at the most in-depth section of the coil since they provide cone-like magnetic fields. Thus, the best gold detector reviews can tell you that adequate depth is smaller than the width of the search coil.
DD Search Coils
Another type of search coil is the DD models, and they get their name from their shape, which resembles two Ds facing each other. These coils provide a blade-shaped magnetic field, unlike the cone one of the concentric coils.
The active magnetic field is determined by the coil’s size, with the most common models offering 2-3-inch coverage, 10-11-inch long, and 10-11-inch deep. There are two benefits of getting a metal detector for gold with the DD coil over the concentric one:
- They provide thin magnetic fields that help to differentiate closely spaced metals. Thus, they can easily detect gold even when there is another metal.
- The second advantage is they provide about 1/2-2/3 magnetic field of their diameter when at maximum depth. Concentric coils offer even smaller coverage at their deepest point.
Search Coil Size
The size of the search coil plays a vital role, just the gold metal detector operating frequency. The size of the search coil, depth detection, and sensitivity are all related.
A larger coil can cover a wide area compared to a smaller one. That is ideal for detecting deep gold nuggets.
Sadly, such a coil can easily miss the small nuggets lying near the surface and is prone to chatter due to mineralization. That issue can be overcome by a smaller coil.
Another benefit of getting a smaller coil is its ability to provide effective detection in most terrains. You can maneuver it over rocks and other trash with ease.
Essential Tips: Get a DD large search coil if you intend to hunt in places where gold is lying deep in the ground.
Metal Detector for Gold Accessories
Below are some of the best accessories that you should consider adding in your gold metal detector arsenal. They can make your hunt more comfortable and more exciting.
- Electronic PinPointer: Your gold metal detector can give you an idea of where the target is located without much trouble; however, it might not give you the exert location. An electronic pinpointer can come in handy and allow you to find the gold faster.
- Headphones: They can help to save your metal detector battery and even ensure that you hear the faint signals. That is possible because they can keep the noise out when you hunt in crowded places or when looking for gold with friends.
- Sand Scoop: You need a scoop to remove the sand if you intend to search at the beach. It is a small basket with tiny holes that you can use to sift the sand when your metal detector detects gold. They work better when the sand is dry. Read more about Sand scoops for metal detecting.
- Detector’s Carrying Bag: It can ensure that you protect your metal detector from the weather when you are not using it. The bag can also help you when moving the detector from one location to the other.
- Gold Pan Kit: You should get a pan kit if you intend to look for gold near water. It can help you to sift through dirt and rocks to find small flakes or nuggets of gold.
- Gold Bottle Snifter: It is another accessory that you should consider buying if you wish to find small pieces of gold. You can use the bottle to suck the gold from the panning kit.
- Trowel or Digger: A small digger can allow you to dig up gold resting a few inches in the ground with ease. It can even make it possible to get treasure buried in soft soil.
- Shovel: A shovel can come in handy if you intend to hunt gold that is buried deep in the ground. One thing to consider is to choose a shovel with a smaller head to ensure that you get an easy time.
- Pouch: You should also have a bag for carrying home the treasure you find after a tiring day. It is a superb addition, even if you intend to hunt around your home.
- Rechargeable Batteries: You do not want to go metal detecting only to return home after 30 minutes because of a dead battery. Ensure that you carry an extra set of battery when you go out to continue hunting longer.
How Does the Technology Works to Detect the Gold?
A gold detector is a metal detector that is calibrated and constructed for gold hunting. You need to understand the science behind these machines to know how they work.
Metal detectors send a magnetic field into the surface and then analyze the received signal. The magnetic field is electronic and produces loops of current, known as eddy current when it hits the conductive metal.
The eddy current then produces an electromagnetic field that is sent to the metal detector, where it is analyzed. The gold detectors go a step further because they measure conductivity and inductance.
Inductance is the amount of the current released by the metal. Conductivity is how easily the current flow.
The gold detector can compute the ‘time constant’ of the metal by measuring how fast the current is flowing and the size of that current. Time constants vary from metal to metal.
For instance, the time constants of gold rings and coins are longer than that of aluminum foil, while junks such as iron and steel have even a longer one. It is possible to calibrate a gold metal detector to find metals that are in the “middle’ range.
However, you might not find gold every time your metal detector sends a signal because of various factors like the shape and size of the target. Other factors also affect the time constant like distance of the target and the environment.
The solution is to re-calibrate the gold metal detector to allow for a narrower or broader range of the time constants. That way, you can avoid the junks and only detect the precious gold.
Metal Detector for Gold FAQ
The next part has answers to the commonly asked questions about gold metal detectors.
Can All Metal Detectors Find Gold?
Metal detectors release a small electromagnetic field that hits the target in the surface, and then the object sends back a signal to the detector. There are lots of factors that can affect that signal, such as the size of the target, frequency of the detector, ground or soil, and others.
Due to that, not all metal detectors can accurately or consistently find gold nuggets or grains of gold.
How Deep Can My Metal Detector Detect Gold?
That depends on the type of detector you have, the size of gold under the ground, and the environment. You can detect a gold nugget that is smaller than a grain about 2-inch in the field if you have the right detector.
The depth increases when the target becomes larger. You can detect bigger targets of over 3-feet in the ground.
Gold Nuggets vs. Gold Jewelry: Which One Should I Find?
You can find the two forms of gold, but you might need different types of metal detectors to do that. If you wish to find gold jewelry like 24k earring or 14k necklaces, you do not need a high-end metal detector.
Although this jewelry has a high concentration of gold, they also contain other metals or material. You can find them using the standard VLF metal detector without much hassle.
Gold Grains vs. Gold Nuggets: Can I Use the Same Gold Detector?
You should decide whether you want to find large gold nuggets or tiny small gold grains before you buy your metal detector. A machine that can find grains-like gold is more affordable but cannot offer the same effectiveness as one that sees giant gold.
The small gold can also be found near the surface, about 2-inch deep, and that is why you do not require a powerful metal detector. Large pieces of gold are found about 5-inch deep, which is hard to detect.
A PI device might come in handy when looking for gold nuggets.
When Should I Use a VLF or PI Metal Detector to Find Gold?
Most gold is found in places with lots of minerals and iron. Both the VLF and PI metal detectors can detect gold on these grounds, and you can easily hear the signal.
The PI machine ignores hot rock signals or reduces them to ensure that you find the real target quickly without digging trash. In that case, the PI metal detector outshines the VLF when you are hunting in those conditions.
A VLF model is suitable for hunting in mild to medium surfaces and places with bedrock. Such a product can also find gold in mineralized areas, but you need to move slowly.
The best metal detector for gold can find this treasure in different places and offer value for money. It is easier to find gold jewelry than gold grains or nuggets, and you need a high-end model to find the latter.
A detector with a high frequency is recommended for hunting gold as it has a high success rate. You can also find gold with the VLF metal detectors if you use them the right way and track slowly.